Big Timber Diabetes Prevention Program(DPP)
The Diabetes Prevention Program(DPP) is a lifestyle intervention program that helps participants become more active, eat healthier, and make sustainable changes. Kelsey Proue, a registered dietitian at Pioneer Medical Center, is heading a program that assists community members in a lifestyle change that offers more than just weight loss. This proven program can help people with prediabetes and/or at risk for type 2 diabetes make achievable and realistic lifestyle changes. DPP is a twelve month program offered to those 18 and older with a body mass index or BMI of over 24 and at least one of the following risk factors:
- High blood pressure
- High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high triglycerides
- Had gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) or delivered a baby >9 lbs.
A Big Timber resident, Brian Engle, was featured in The Big Timber Pioneer explaining his efforts to change his own personal lifestyle. Having the motivation, drive, and the assistance of the DPP, Brian successfully lost fifty-three pounds. See more of Brian’s story here.
- 6 month gym membership
- 16 weekly sessions with a registered dietitian
- 6 monthly sessions with lifestyle coach
- Cost is covered with Medicare and other private insurance