Montana’s Rural Health Initiative hosts regular webinars. Here are the upcoming events!
Healthy Montana Mouths Older & Disabled Adults
Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 2:00 pm MST
Presented by Tonette Hollingsworth, RDH and Oral Health Program Coordinator with MT-DPHHS
The mouth holds details about overall health and well-being. During 2017, the Montana DPHHS Oral Health Program wanted to understand the need for dental services among older and disabled adults in long-term care facilities. This webinar will share findings from the open-mouth dental screenings that were completed in 20 long-term care facilities throughout Montana. Participants will be asked to share experiences on dental care needs among high-risk populations and discuss strategies to address needs.
Key Findings of the Dental Screenings
• Nearly half (47%) reported not having been to the dentist in the last 3 years.
• 33% had no natural teeth.
• 13% of those with no natural teeth had no dentures and an additional 7% reported they were missing their denture for either the top or bottom.
• 60% had fewer than 20 natural teeth, impacting the ability to effectively chew.
• 39% of those screened with teeth had untreated decay and 28% had at least one tooth broken off at the gum line.
Thursday, August 23rd, 2018
2:00 PM – 2:45 PM MST
Poor dental health can make eating difficult, creating the risk of poor nutrition and other health problems. Research has shown that people with gum disease may be at higher risk for heart disease and have a more difficult time controlling blood sugar. Germs in the mouth may also contribute to respiratory infections, especially among individuals with limited mobility. Large amounts of plaque and food that remain on teeth hold on to bad bacteria, increasing the risk for inhalation pneumonia. Changes in cognitive and motor skills may impact the ability for regular mouth care and can result in poor oral health.
The objectives of the webinar are:
• Understand the oral health needs of older and disabled adults in Montana.
• Connect oral health with overall health.
• Collaboratively discuss strategies to address oral health needs.
Research content in the webinar is from the National Institute for Dental and Craniofacial which can be found at http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/.
If you would like additional information about oral health in Montana please contact the Montana DPHHS Oral Health Program staff, (406) 444-2660 or email@example.com.
To view past webinars, please visit: http://healthinfo.montana.edu/health-wellness/rhi-webinars.html