Montana Afterschool Facts:
Afterschool boosts student success, keeps kids safe, and helps parents keep their jobs. The demand for afterschool and summer learning opportunities far exceeds the supply in Montana; 1 out of every 5 applications for 21st Century Community Learning Centers cannot be funded, leaving communities without the supports they need for children and youth in the hours after school and during the summer. A nationwide study of students who regularly attend 21st Century Community Learning Centers found:
- 65% improved their class participation and homework completion
- 57% improved their classroom behavior
- nearly half improved their math and Language Arts grades
kidsLINK Afterschool was established in 1997 in response to an identified need in our rural communities; to keep children safe after school while their parents finished their work day. kidsLINK Afterschool now operates in 29 school-based/linked locations across 4 counties and served nearly 2,000 children every day. kidsLINK is a fun, safe environment providing rich opportunities for learning, personal growth, and building relationships. Its success is the result of strong partnerships with schools, school districts, MSU, Gallatin County 4-H and other local organizations.
kidsLINK Afterschool 6 Bold Goals:
- Ensure no child is home alone by providing quality, affordable out of school programming that supports and engages working families
- Enhance student health by providing nutritious daily snacks and nutrition education
- Strengthen student well-being by providing daily physical activity with a focus on lifelong fitness
- Promote student academic success by providing tutoring, homework and reading support
- Develop student interest and spark a passion for learning by providing enrichment activities
- Foster student mental and emotional well-being through quality staffing and ongoing professional
Learn more here!