What is Native H.Y.P.E.?
Native H.Y.P.E. is a leadership program for American Indian students in Montana, Wyoming or closely surrounding areas. Approximately 40 middle school students, entering 6th – 8th grade, will be selected to participate in Native H.Y.P.E. from July 8th-12th on the Salish-Kootenai campus in Pablo, MT. Each student selected will be provided meals and lodging during the entire program. Transportation may be available and details will be provided to students who are accepted to participate. Parents are invited to attend the entire program.
Native H.Y.P.E. will promote healthy decision making, positive peer communication, healthy
relationships, culture and tradition, physical activity and focus on empowerment. Native H.Y.P.E. will
also explore healthcare through exciting hands on experiences led by current healthcare professionals.
What are the requirements to participate in Native H.Y.P.E.?
- Students must be in middle school – entering into the 6th, 7th or 8th grade for the 2012/2013 school year.
- Students must live in Montana and Wyoming, or closely surrounding areas.
- Students must agree to abide by all Native H.Y.P.E. policies.
All students will be selected by a committee comprised of members of the Native H.Y.P.E. planning
group. The selection committee plans to have representation from each reservation and urban area and will review all applications for:
- Leadership questions – answer strength
- Completion of all requirements
What is the application process for Native H.Y.P.E.?
1. Application must be received in the Billings Area Indian Health Service Office no later than 5:00
pm on May 17th.
2. Applications must be easy to read and fully completed. Please call or e-mail if you have any
questions on the application – Michelle Brown – (406) 247-7116 or email@example.com.
3. The Native H.Y.P.E. selection committee will select approximately 40 participants based on
gender and regional representation.
4. Letters notifying applicants of the selection committee results will be mailed by June 4th