Barrett Hospital & HealthCare Community Health Fair
“Healthy Rural Living”
This summer Barrett Hospital & HealthCare hosted their first health fair, “Healthy Rural Living”, on Saturday, June 22, 2013. A total of 49 vendors from around Montana, Utah and Idaho participated in the health fair. A variety of organizations came to share health related information with the community including representatives from assisted living and nursing homes, BHH departments, and numerous others.
Approximately 135 community members attended the event. Participants enjoyed a variety of freebies including promotional items, educational materials and fun, family friendly activities throughout the event. Products were not sold at the event. Overall, the health fair was a huge success and Barrett Hospital & HealthCare plans to make the “Healthy Rural Living Fair” an annual event.
The distracted driving demonstration was one of the more popular attractions of the day, when participants were asked to send a text message while attempting to safely navigate a golf cart through a slow, controlled course. Volunteers tossed stuffed animals into the path of the cart to see how well the drivers could maneuver around the animals while texting. Inevitably, no one was able to miss all the animals and stay within the course while texting. This was a very worthwhile exercise about the dangers of distracted driving and particularly, texting while driving.
This distracted driving was just one of many on June 23rd who failed to successfully navigate the course while texting.
One of the health fair’s volunteers felt so bad for the stuffed animals that she attempted CPR!
This driving team laughs as other distracted drivers hit cones and stuffed animals.
Vendors who participated in this year’s health fair were:
- BHH Departments: Housekeeping, Distracted Driving, Cardiopulmonary, Patient Financial Services, Human Resources, Diabetes Prevention Program, Nutritional Services, Surgical Services, and Sportsmetrics
- Youth Dynamics
- Sound Advice Hearing
- University of Utah Burn Center
- Operation Lifesaver & Railroad Safety
- Mountain Pacific Quality Health
- The Legacy Assisted Living
- New West Medicare
- State of the Heart Therapy
- UMW Student Wellness
- TOPS (Take Pounds Off Sensibly)
- St. Patrick’s Life Flight
- Western Montana Mental Health
- QPR/Mental Health
- Community Support Center
- Safe Routes to School
- Spark Into Motion
- Beaverhead Therapy & Massage
- Beaverhead Recycling
- Relay for Life
- Dillon Rotary Club
- Montana Independent Living
- Big Sky Senior Living
- Beaverhead County Public Health
- Community Health Center
- American Red Cross
- Family Outreach
- Beaverhead Chamber of Commerce
- Comprehensive Hearing – Helena
- Parkview Acres
- Rocky Mountain Development Council
- the BioMat Company
- BHH Diagnostic Imaging, Mind/Body Health
- Beaverhead County Search & Rescue
- Care Flight Air Idaho Reserve
For more information about the health fair or Barrett Hospital & HealthCare please visit: http://www.barretthospital.org/