Get involved this summer through our various volunteer workdays. Connect with community member and farmer friends while having fun in the sun!
The Community Food and Agriculture Coalition, CFAC works to strengthen Missoula County’s food system. We aim to achieve this through promoting sustainable agriculture, building regional self-reliance, assuring that all have equal access to healthy, affordable and culturally appropriate food, and advocating for local, state and national policies that promote our local food system.
Our volunteer opportunities vary depending on current projects and the season. Every community member interested in volunteering has experience that can benefit our mission. We strive to connect these interested parties to opportunities that will provide them with a rewarding volunteer experience.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities:
- Monday, July 7th, 9 am-3 pm – Volunteer workday at a Hamilton farm. Lunch and unlimited coffee with be provided.
Location/Directions: Carpool from the Cabela’s parking lot in Missoula.
TO RSVP: Contact Kate at 406-273-8740
- Tuesday, July 22nd, 9 am-2 pm – Crop Mob! Join us for this fun volunteer workday at three different farms. As the name suggests, a mob of fellow community members will be looking to get their hands dirty while helping out farmer friends. Free lunch will be provided.
TO RSVP: Contact Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Wednesday, July 30th, 5-8 pm – Conserving Soil and Water – examples and stories of putting good tools to use at Foothill Farm.
Cost: $5, includes light supper
Location: 61240 Foothill Rd, St. Ignatius
Have you been wondering about ways that you can add innovative soil and water conservation practices into your operation? Join us for this event partnering with NRCS to see some great tools in use at Foothill Farm and hopefully, a few more (more details to come!)
TO RSVP: contact Annie Heuscher at email@example.com or 406-763-6862 by Monday, July 28th.
- Tuesday, August 12th, 2-5 pm – Gap & On-Farm Food Safety – farm walk through with food safety experts at Fresh Roots Farm
Cost: $5, includes snacks
Location: 41041 Mountain View Rd, Polson
We know that the rules are changing on food safety, but what do they mean? On this field day, we’ll do a walk-through of Fresh Roots Farm with Karl Sutton and Darci Jones as well as two food safety experts, Jan Tusick and Nancy Matheson. Together, you’ll be able to see the farm through the experts’ eyes:
- What are the problem areas?
- What are possible easy fixes?
We encourage you to bring your challenges and have the group help you brainstorm cheap and easy ways to make sure you’re being safe and careful with your products! This field day is occurring in partnership with the Western Montana Growers’ Coop and their group GAP certification pilot program.
TO RSVP: Contact Annie Heuscher at firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-763-6862 by Friday, August 8th
Health Fair Dates: July 7th and July 22nd
Partner Organizations: Various farmers in Missoula and Bitteroot Valleys
For more information, contact Katie Zuck, Volunteer Coordinator, or Bonnie Buckingham, Executive Director
Katie Zuck: P:406.273.8740 E: email@example.com
Bonnie Buckingham: P: 406.880.0543 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or visit their website at www.missoulacfac.org